Welcome

6/22/2009
Welcome to MaToyaSwagher! If you are here you are either a friend, family, hater, coworker, curious, nosy, classmate, bored, a stranger, interested or an inspiration for my blog. Whatever your reason for being here, you are WELCOME. I plan to use this blog as a place to express who I am, my views on the world, my daily encounters, the things that people know about me, but most importantly the things that people may not know. I hope to grow with this blog and become an inspiration for others to express themselves. I am not sure how prolific or politically correct this blog will be, but I can guarantee that it will be me! I have been writing since the 1st grade, but was truly inspired to "launch" my blog after the Homegoing Celebration of Mrs. Nancy Howery who literally wrote her life, the highs and the lows. My other inspiration comes from teaching. Out of all of the stories, poems, and plays that I have read as an English teacher I believe that I am most inspired by Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Self Reliance." If you have time or care to research him feel free to do so. His words inspire the way that I live my life and is a direct influence on me being known for speaking my mind. The following is an excerpt from Emerson's "Self Reliance:"

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them.
But why should you keep your head over your shoulder? Why drag about this corpse of your memory, lest you contradict somewhat you have stated in this or that public place? Suppose you should contradict yourself; what then?
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood---

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Damn It...I'm GREAT!

Again Welcome to MaToyaSwagher

Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Ex 101"

Is your partner's "ex" a reoccurring "issue" in your current relationship? Has your partner hit you with the line, "we were friends first?" The ultimate question is what place if any does your "ex" hold in your life? I will try to keep this lesson as short as possible. Ok here we go: exgirlfriend/exboyfriend, exhusband/exwife. We learned a lot of things in our wonderful grammar school days, things like addition and subtraction, subject and predicate, and even state capitols. Well for today's lesson you won't need any of those because we will be focusing on prefixes! Now we might be a little rusty on the definition, so here we go. A prefix is a letter or group of letters attached to the beginning of a word that changes or dictates the meaning of a word. Stay with me....the prefix that we are focusing on today is "EX." Say it with me...."EX." The dictionary defines "ex" as: out of, away from, without, former. So lets take girlfriend/boyfriend for example. If someone holds that title they function as your girlfriend/boyfriend, now I won't go into the details of that function because it may vary from relationship to relationship. Now when we take those same words, girlfriend/boyfriend and add a prefix we know that the prefix will change or dictate the meaning of those words. "EX" is our prefix. This means that those persons are former or without, meaning that they no longer serve as the girlfriend/boyfriend. Are you still with me? Good. Whatever their function was as the girlfriend/boyfriend should no longer exist So, whatever was going on, by the definition should be over. But it doesn't always end like this. But should it? Should an "ex" stay an "ex?"

2 comments:

  1. If an "ex" is a true friend then by all means keep them around. But what I mean by "true friend" is somewone that will respect you and whomever you are in a relationship with. I am still friend with a my ex's and that is because I give them and their relationship the same respect that I would want in mine. If she has a problem with the friendship I back off. If a male friend of mine has a problem with my current relationship he wasn't my true friend to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its hard to keep an "ex" a traditional ex when there is/are child(ren) involved. That ex may have to be the "current" parent along with being an ex-mate or spouse. I think the hard part is delivering that disclaimer to you new beau or boo that "thats just my baby momma."

    ReplyDelete